[Slony1-general] 2.2.4 -> 2.2.6 upgrade
Tignor, Tom
2017-11-13 22:09:33 UTC
Hello Slony-I community,
We’re working on a postgres upgrade now and considering a slony 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 upgrade to perform at the same time. I’ve found the Slony-I Upgrade section in the doc. This describes an all-at-once upgrade procedure which is difficult for us. For a 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 upgrade, what would be the barriers to upgrading each node in turn? Of course we’ve seen the schema check in remote_listen.c. However, the 2.2.6 upgradeSchema function looks like it has little or no work to do. Setting aside the schema check, are there any data format or other problems which would prevent 2.2.4 from replicating from 2.2.6 or vice versa?

Tom ☺
Steve Singer
2017-11-15 02:59:59 UTC

                Hello Slony-I community,
                We’re working on a postgres upgrade now and considering a slony 2.2.4 to 2.2.6
upgrade to perform at the same time. I’ve found the Slony-I Upgrade section in the doc. This
describes an all-at-once upgrade procedure which is difficult for us. For a 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 upgrade,
what would be the barriers to upgrading each node in turn? Of course we’ve seen the schema check in
remote_listen.c. However, the 2.2.6 upgradeSchema function looks like it has little or no work to do.
Setting aside the schema check, are there any data format or other problems which would prevent 2.2.4
from replicating from 2.2.6 or vice versa?
Other than the checks in place to explicitly prevent this, I don't think
there is anything in 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 that would stop this from working.

This is from memory and glancing at the release notes, Obviously you would
need to do your own testing (and disable version checks)

                Tom    ☺